The best Humidity Meters in Canada? We’ve all heard of them but sometimes think it’s too complicated or technical, but it shouldn’t be!
Picture this… Hardwood is left somewhere exposed to the frigid temperatures/heat over a season or few months. Before you know it, it swells up or dries the wood out and now cannot be installed. Or you move into your new home right before Christmas but before you know it your daughters eczema is back with a vengeance.
How do you prevent these from happening? Vigilance would be most important but even more so would be a humidity meter. This post will guide you through what to look for and how to maximize its use to live a more comfortable, sustainable and cost-effective life in your new home!
Humidity: What is it?
Let’s keep it simple. Humidity is the amount of water vapour in your air. These two are broken down into 2 terms
Absolute Humidity– ACTUAL water vapour in a specific volume
Relative Humidity— Measured as the ratio of moisture in air vs what the air can hold.
Humidity: So Why is it important look for the Best Humidity Meter Canada?
- Low humidity is proven to cause dry eyes and flaky skin
- Low humidity can also dry out the lining in our respiratory tract– increasing your risk of cold. flue and other sicknesses
- Viruses in general can survive longer in low humidity
- High humidity on the other hand can cause low energy and even in serious cases cause hyperthermia
- High humidity can cause materials, especially wood to swell up and soak up moisture– making even the best insulation materials, less effective.
- Too low humidity levels can cause gaps in hardwood and cracking in floorboards/moulding
- Low humidity can cause materials to shift apart may require a long period of time to fill back up
Best Humidity Meter Canada: How it works
We now have an understanding as to why humidity control is important. We can now understand how the best humidity monitors Canada works. I will be using a digital humidity meter as an example here as they are inexpensive, compact and accurate enough to give you an idea about your home climate.
These units have a sensor that monitors moisture levels changes on an electric current. They will in some cases also indicate the air comfort and encourage you to stay within the correct temperature anf humidity range to ensure you and your home are healthy.
You can easily mount these on a wall with a level and some even come with a 3M adhesive on the back if required.
Some things to note:
- Location of the humidity monitor Canada matters!- Please do not place these meters right by exterior openings/windows as they can inflate the reading as you open and close fixtures.
- There will be a little discrepancy between your meter and your home thermostat (Nest, Lennox, etc) as they have more expensive and high-tech sensors. The idea of the meter is to give you a general idea.
- Feel free to keep these in the garden as they are an inexpensive way to monitor your plants over a day cycle.
Recommended Humidity Ranges
Now that we have discussed why the best humidity Meter Canada are important lets go over the ideal humidity ranges for your home- depending on your Materials
- Excess moisture here is your worse nightmare!
- Try to maintain humidity here at 20% or above when the temperature is < 20 degrees and over 35% when temperature is above 20 degrees
- You may find installing a humidifier at your furnace to be beneficial or even portable ones in key rooms
- Look out for condensation on windows as that is a sure sign the humidity outside is too high!
- Flooring companies always tell you to=hat its your responsibility to use a humidifier during later fall/winter and a dehumidifier during early spring/summer
- You want to maintain the humidity level of 45-55% year round
- Not doing this= excessive shrinkage between boards in winter and cupping during summer
- Nowadays 3/4″ engineered hardwood are able to tolerate between 30-80% relative humidity but you should not rely on that!
- Trim work/ any other detailed work including mouldings
- Stay within the 40-50% range to avoid cracking, especially on any panelling work
- General Wellbeing/Health
- 50-60% seems to be the threshold for your wellbeing at a home
- If humidity is somehow higher than 70%, your sweat is not able to evaporate and will lead to uneasiness and generally a hot feeling.
- Stay below 60% to prevent bacteria/viruses that grow in the air as they cna remain airborne for a longer period and stick to countertops/tables.
A few of the best humidity meters Canada I’ve tried..
ThermoPro TP49-B Mini Hygrometer Thermometer
- With a 2″ mini screen- its very easy to read and comes with a nice backlight
- Easily switch between Farenehight and Celsius
- Has multiple optins for mounting
- Is pretty accurate compared ot others– its accurate to ±1°F/°C and ±2%-3%
- Digital display feels fragile
- Are reports of the units not lasting more than a few months for some people
Govee Hygrometer Thermometer
- Temperature is accurate to ±0.5°F while humidity is ±3%RH.
- Large LCD at 3″
- Can store data upto 20 days
- Bluetooth and App Alerts available to track certain areas
- I did need some time to troubleshoot why it didn’t connect with my phone– it works on bluetooth NOT wifi!
- Cannot connect to it via bluetooth if I am more than 1 storey above
- Double the price of a compact device that may be just as accurate
I hope this gave you readers a good understanding of how the best humidity Meter canada can play a huge role in general wellbeing. Please make sure to ask your contractor/supplier on their recommended ranges of humidity required for their product/services. They will provide you with a care package/manual with all these details.
Again, like always, I recommend YOU to do your own research into what devices work best and what you find is the ideal temperature you want your house to be at– dependant on your climate. I live in Toronto where we have short but brutal bursts of snow and cold and a very wet spring.
Feel free to check out the Humidity Meter/thermostat combinations available above at Amazon.